Thursday, March 09, 2006

This is Isabel with a full bladder, hopping around trying to finish her melting ice-cream as fast as possible before she is allowed to come in the house to the toilet.








Ally is becoming more playful and interactive with her elder sister, while the elder willingly let her does whatever she likes to her. Ally can climb all over her, ride her like a horse or lay on top of her also can.




Recently I received a notification from Isabel's playgroup that there is a minor outbreak of Hand Foot Mouth disease there. Several children has been infected, stringent checks and cleaning have been started.
Isabel had her share of the experience of HFM about a year and a half ago. It was her first time feeling such discomfort in her throat that she refused to talk, eat or drink for few days. All she did was cry whenever she swallowed saliva. We tried giving her something cold to sooth the pain but that causes diarrhea, making her lose more fluid.

By the third day, she was so weak and dehydrated that she has to be admitted to the hospital. Can't say that she suffered while she's in there. In fact she seems to enjoy the stay as all she did was lay in bed and watch cartoon channel all day long. Rather it was us parents who has to sleep on the sofa every night. By the end of her stay, I could hardly stand up straight.

I have to be the one handling her as my wife was few months pregnant with Ally. Maybe I was weak, in the end, I got my share of HFM too. It was then that I realize why Isabel simply refuse to eat or drink.

It was horrible... tears would roll down my cheek when I forced myself to eat.
Took me 9 days to recover.

7 comments:

Lazymama said...

The picute Isabel holding her bladder looks so cute! :)

HFMD, adults have to suffer so much! No wonder kids can't take that! Hmmm, gotta be ultra careful now!

Mockingbird said...

HFMD is indeed a crappy, dreaded and scary disease ;p Thank God for His healing :)

Egghead said...

HFM also affect adults one ah? aiyah.... really have to be becareful liao :(

ZMM said...

Must have been really really bad for the whole family..

Gosh.. I really have to watch out.

blurblur said...

This reminds me of the HMF scare i had not long ago with Damien...

It must be a suffer to go through ..thank god it's over now..

Allyfeel said...

Oh dear... what a terrble HFM. There is an outbreak here in east Malaysia as well.

Just make sure maid wipe & wash their hands often. I have already warn my maid and cut bb's nails.

lisaOne said...

reading your journal on HFM scare me big time already...