Monday, March 27, 2006

HFMD SCARE...!!!

Isabel had mild grade fever last week for 2-3 days, Thinking that it might just be "heaty" we gave her fruits like watermelon and make her drink lots of water hoping she'll be ok.

But as I mentioned earlier, there was a minor outbreak in her playgroup whereby the teachers are doing checks for spots on their palms before they are allowed to admit to the class. Notice I'm saying palm because its all they check... they never check the mouth and tongue.

Anyway...she started having sore throat that's when the the nightmare began...

She screams and cries whenever she swallows, tears roll down her check, she grabbed her neck and hopped around screaming somemore. Its really painful to see her like this, she's super manja especially when I reach home from work... I stood at the door and observe her for a while before opening and announcing I'm home, upon seeing me, I seems to remind her of the pain and she'll scream and run to me complaining of the discomfort she's been thru the whole day.

Nightmare got worst when she started to have ulcers on her lips... This got us worried.
But the weird part is there isn't any blisters or red spots on her hands and feet. Even the doctors isn't sure if its HFMD. But to be on the safe side, she was quarantined for the next few days.

Unlike the last time when she had the real HFMD, she can eat and drink. I gave her ice water which is able to numb the throat so that she can swallow better.

The most difficult part is the time when we're all asleep, suddenly she can scream and cry in pain. At 4.30am in the morning, she stood at my bedside holding her water bottle, woke me up and said "Daddy...no more ice already" She drank nothing but ice water and ice-cream, thank God that she's not coughing.
After 3 days of crying in pain, the healing started to take place... On Sunday she's able to eat and drink properly without any complain. Today My wife brought her to the doctor again to certify that she's either not having HFMD or fit and safe to go playgroup again.

I can see that she's glad the pain has finally left her.

But I have to say I'm more relieve than she is.

10 comments:

MayY . C 五月媽媽 said...

Doctor over here recomment Pop Circle.
(it's ice cream)Freeze the mouth to reduce pain. Poor girl, I feel her pain. Glad to know she is feeling better.

ZMM said...

Eeeee... the photos you posted are so gross.. I thought you were showing Isabel.

Good that she's getting better already.. Poor her, must have been tough.

Btw, do you separate the 2 girls when 1 falls ill?

Mumsgather said...

Poor thing! Glad to hear she's better now.

Ricket said...

To Zara-mama: It's hard to separate them, I only seperate them when its bed time. cos Isabel screams in pain might wake up her mei mei.

blurblur said...

I know how you feel...

The same thing happened to Damien during CNY period - fever, ulcers in the mouth..a real scare for us too!

Glad that she's receovered now!:)

Mockingbird said...

Thank God Isabel's fine now :)

Jess said...

wow, see the pic already feel pain for her, poor girl! Lucky she is ok now.

Encourage her to take more water!

Mother Superior said...

Ugh, the picures of the tongue and what is the picture above? Anyhow, they look gross all right.

So glad Isabel's OK now. Can imagine the anxiety. I mean the parents' anxiety. ,-)

Babysmooches said...

I had the exact same experience with my elder one, Brendan, 2 weeks back. Then, my gal, Eryn had a one day fever. But everything's fine now.

Allyfeel said...

Glad that she is better now.