Thursday, February 23, 2006

Picky Eater

Dinner time is always the most difficult time for Isabel. The 3 year-old will start picking her rice... Wretch at the sight of anything green, frown at anything new or unknown. She'll say she is full, or stomach ache, or very tired need want to sleep.

One time during new year lunch at my mom's place, (she seems to know that this grandma can overpower me) she took 2 mouth full, then calls it quit, claiming to be full. But in less than 10 minutes, she came to me saying: "Daddy, I hungry, cab I eat Bak-guah?" (BBQ pork)

I've tried coaxing her, bribing her, threatening her and even punishing her for being such a picky eater, but the message doesn't seems to be getting across.

I read from articles that on the average kids will refuse a new food for 15 times before they are willing to try it. But generally I've lost count how many food she has listed as "not nice"

One of the few occasions where she enjoys her dinner is at wedding dinners, where she can eat it at her own pace (2 hours) with a variety of yummy food. Her favorite? Abalone! She calls it "the very nice fish cake".

I wonder when will she out-grow this.

Anyone got any advise?

13 comments:

Egghead said...

she do looks fierce when she's hungry, doesn't she?

Lazymama said...

Picky eater! I have one too!

Jess said...

What my hubby did was, tell her inside her stomach got some worms, if she refuse to take vege, then those worm will eat her stomach till left bone only! Then she'll quickly eat the vege...as she scare mah!

Mockingbird said...

i guess when she's probably less picky when she's really hungry ;)

seefei said...

only politicians and businessmen take 2 hour long meal. intrinsic quality of character that is a pre requisite.

lisaOne said...

i'm in the same shoe with you. my elder son- fussy eater...strictly nothing green...before he even try it- he will say "not nice already"...i need advice too.

blurblur said...

Sama sama, Damien would pick on his meal and kept telling me he wants to eat "something"..his "something" is ususally sweets, chocolates, cakes, bread, but not the bowl of rice infront of him...:X

VP said...

no advice la...coz Renee is as bad, like Isb she too enjoys the abalone + sharksfin in wedding dinners. sluuuurp...

i guess we shouldn't do anything as I am sure she still drinks her milk right? so there is sufficient nutrients there lo. max Renee takes a night is also 2 spoons of rice.hahaha
reneereeve mami

Mumsgather said...

Welcome to the Picky Kids Parents Club! Hehehe.

Mother Superior said...

I didn't try it when kids were younger, but nowadays during dinner, I tell a Bible story or recount something funny at work or during my childhood. I tell the story in many parts, and each part will only be continued when they eat two more mouth spoons, with one broccoli inclusive. It has worked wonderfully well so far, except for the effort of thinking of stories, or asking questions.

If all else fails, try reading this post: Dinner Engagement.
http://mother-superior.blogspot.com/2005/11/dinner-engagement.html

ZMM said...

You went for the seminar.. and now you know the answers.. :P

Allyfeel said...

"Not Nice" is my son's favourite words too. Not only use for food but for things & toys around him.

blinka.Li said...

I am not a mom yet but i think some of the program in Channel 11(Astro) like 'Forever Summer w/Nigella' has some fantastic ideas of recipe for kids. Simple to prepare and looks delicious!