Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Housework, is it just plain common sense?

I'm on leave for the past 1 week, but not enjoying myself at all :(

Been training my new helper, Auntie R, who has just arrives from Indonesia last week. Training someone does require a lot of energy, mental strength and most of all, PATIENCE! I felt more tired at home these few days than at work.

Not only that i realise language is a barrier, there is also social and culture differences when housework is concern.
I used to think that doing housework is just common sense.
I don't remember LEARNING to do housework when I'm young.
Mum pass me a broom and I'll just sweep. But i do believe "Practice make perfect".

I have learnt to break down each task to very very simple instruction.
Each sentence must not be more than 5 words, if not she will give you the very blank look again. Our conversation rely a lot on dictionary.... pictionary....my basic malay that i've pick up from work....etc

On day 1, I gave her a note book.
I insisted that she must write down all the instructions.
Because, my past experience tells me that "their" favourite words is "I forget".
I can guarantee that even with writing down, they will still not remember but at least she knows where to refer to it. And to avoid misunderstanding, always make her repeat your instruction again before she proceed with the task.

Because of my background as a nurse, we are taught in nursing school to plan and organise our work. There is a rationale for every step that we do. Nurses are trained to multitask too, so that make it harder for Auntie R to catch up to my standard (well, this is according to my husband, although i don't quite agree).

Though she may be slow in her work, but she does have a good attitude.
I believe with proper training, she will do well.

Tomorrow is my last day of intensive training. After that, will be followed by a day training with "Sir".

For once, I'm looking forward to go back to my work :0)

1 comment:

LZmommy said...

That's why I got a helper who has experience but of coz there were other issues since she is an experience helper.