Monday, November 13, 2006

Fatherhood

I have been a father for 4 years now... of course, not much experience to talk about, but joy of being a father is indescribable.

There were times when children can really drive me up the wall. but there were also times when we shared a laugh and everything simply melt away. Its like our own laughter is not the best medicine, but its their laughter that can cure all.

Although Isabel has past the phase of "Terrible 2", still, being a child of 4 years old, she has her own thinking, and may want things her way. That's when our discretion has to come in and decide to let her have her way or not. I try to be firm and fair... but she'll be disappointed half the time.

This morning my maid told me Isabel was crying and kicking in her dream last night. This made me think, was I too strict with her. Did I reject her request too often? Should I let her do what she want more often, buy her more toys? Spend more time with her?

Is the cause of her nightmare from me? I really want to be a good father, but sometimes I may over do it, expecting her to live up to my standard, do things a little faster, react a little quicker...
Sigh...

But kids are still kids, they are suppose to drive us nuts until they pass puberty... sometimes beyond.

I guess that is the unpronounceable part of the contract of being a parent, which makes me love my parents more for enduring my nonsense.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too find this similar dream experience with my son. But guess when it comes to discipline time, I won't give in or he will turn to be a spoilt brat.