Thursday, November 02, 2006

Bite my shoes?

A colleague of mine happily came into the office and started showing off her new shoes that her boyfriend bought.

An hour or so later, she came and complained that the shoe is hurting her feet.

She said: "I've already bitten it why it still hurt my foot?"

I went dazed... "You actually bite your shoes?"

She went: "Yah... Before I wear it. My dad does that too... so that the shoe won't hurt my feet."

Me: "Well... Bite it again!" (whipped out my camera ready to take a picture)

She: "Cannot la... Once I started wearing it, cannot bite it anymore."

I'm really amazed that in this modern society, there are people who still believes in such myth and superstitions.

Like in the western, some people believe that its bad luck to walk under the ladders, or to have a black cat cross your path.
But one common superstition between the east and west is that they all say that opening an umbrella in a room or under the roof is bad luck.

I believe its all in the state of mind, like Feng Shui for instance, what's important is that you yourself have to be comfortable with the environment or surrounding, hence, productivity will increase.

Anyway... its up to you, what they always say: "If you believe... then its there. If you don't believe... then its not there."

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am your colleague's type, but not biting, i just not put my new buy shoes on the table or chair. Haha..i do believe this myth.

Ricket said...

To Hui Sia: Why cannot put new shoes on table or chair?

Anonymous said...

Yeah Bite the back!

Ricket said...

To Sasha: Ha... you also know? I think I may the only one don't know.

Shannon said...

I heard about it... Another version is to step on it... this, logically speaking, I would believe is to soften the sharp edges so it doesn't hurt our leg as much...

I believe many supersticious comes about for a reason... that can be explained and makes more sense... for example, bad luck if we sit facing the corners (edges) of a table, I could deduce that because it's for safety, cuz if someone accidentally bang u from behind, you'll get 'stabbed' in the chest... Just my opinion... hehehe

Anonymous said...

haha, i also first time knowing this myth... must bite new shoes before wearing! i think the shoe is just new and the stiches on the shoes is cutting into her flesh la... few more rounds of walking ard will solve the problem. hehe

seefei said...

hei that's one good papa tale! but new shoes are like that. new to wear a few time to get comfy!

pepsicolawai said...

Aiyo...
Buy shoe for Boyfriend or girlfriend then in future the person will "run away" with somebody.

Believe it or not, up to u...

Anonymous said...

Bite shoe? Never heard of...but when I was small and if we had new school shoes, we must say "New Shoes Choop" so that people dont step on your new shoes...come to think of it...I also dont know what is the significant of doing that liao