Thursday, May 04, 2006


Isabel's new project: Planting green beans...

It was a project from the children church. At first I wondered why church would teach about science, but then I thought... God is a God of science too... so why not.

She was very excited when she brought it home. She asked me: "Daddy, what do I do with it.

I said: "Put it under the sun and water it, they will grow."

She quickly watered it and then brought to the window and stuck it out to catch some rays, 3 secs later coiled back in and looked at it disappointedly saying: "No? not growing leh?" I don't know to laugh or not to laugh.

As the days went by, the beans began to sprout and grew under her care. But when the plants stopped growing due to the lack of space, her enthusiasm also stopped growing. Now I'm the one continuing to water them.

That's also why I don't agree to buy her any pets, she wanted a rabbit for her coming 4th birthday to show off cos she was at a friend's birthday party where the birthday girl had a rabbit hopping around in her room. She also wanted a couple of hamsters, a puppy... etc etc.

I said : "No, no, no, no..." cos I'll end up cleaning and feeding them. Maybe at 5 years old... just maybe... if she can prove herself to be responsible. Otherwise, she can call the fishes in my aquarium to be her pets.

8 comments:

Jess said...

Get her plant some vege, am sure she will eat them later.

Ricket said...

To Jesslyn: She helps to do watering of my chilli plant, but she don't take any of it. I'm thinking of planting those small tomatos.

Ricket said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
blurblur said...

Damien helps to water the pots of plants at mum's place...but his 'ulterior' aim is to play with water...

Robin CHAN said...

Nice Blog.

hmm.. I always thought having a pet will bring a different childhood.

Growing up with pets would teach responisibility, love and care..

But of course it is additional work.

ZMM said...

yeah.. keeping a pet is a great responsibility.. even as an adult I sometimes find it tough to be responsible to my cat.. :(

seefei said...

fish tank...i grew rearing fish but most of the time my mum took care of it, cleaning, feeding etc hahahaha

but that had cultivated my love for pet. as i live in apt now, cant rear cats and dogs, so fish is still my fav pet. i have a beautiful 3 footer tank that i am very proud of.

put it down to parentals' sacrifice...it will do a lot of good for kiddies to learn to give (care) and responsible for another entity (pet).

Mockingbird said...

Guess we still have many years of cleaning up the mess our kids make b4 they r grown up ;p