Monday, December 14, 2009

Painting Room

Inspired by my father, who is in his late 60s, but painted the house by himself... I spent my 2 days of leaves painting 1 room... the Study Room.

The last time I had it painted was when Ally was born. Over the years the kids have been adding a fair amount of colors and decorations with crayons, color pencils and stickers. Cleaning the walls have faded some parts of the walls.

I estimated it should take me about 6 hours without break to complete 2 coats of paint, completing before my lovely wife comes home giving her a pleasant surprise. But I did not factor in the 2 curious kids pestering me to let them help paint the room, or every 10 minutes they'll pop in and ask "Daddy are you done?", or they'll be going through stuffs that I have stored away for years.
Ya... the worst is that I under estimated the amount of barang-barang we have in there. Just imagine... it took me 4 hours to rearrange back everything the next day.


Changing the color from Lime green to light yellow

I remember using only 1 pail of 5 litre paint for the room the last time I did it. But this time as I used a different brand, it was thicker and doesn't splash back as I rolled the roller. But it also means that I am about a litre short.

By after dinner, I was only one and a half coat done... and about to be out of paint. I rush down to the shop and grabbed another 2 cans of 1 litre. By the time I declare the room complete, it was already passed 11pm.

The room looks much brighter with the fresh coat of paint.
Its not one of my best work, but the effect isn't bad at all.


.

2 comments:

Blessed mum said...

same here when we decided to repaint the room..the kids wanted to help and we thought it was good idea till they start making a mess and complaints of tiredness..

easier said than done..

Aces Family said...

WOW..diy painting has always been my DREAM...haha.

But reality is that it's just too tough esp with chdren around. So i outsourced it 3rd party and our whole hse was painted in 2 days time...: P

cheers,
astee