Friday, September 04, 2009

The thousand dollar guitar

As some may remember, I was recently learning to play the guitar.  I used a guitar given by a friend who has no use of it anymore. It didn't really sound fantastic, and its hard to tune, but still, I made the best use of it.  And I enjoy playing it while the 2 girls sing along.

Tuning it requires a tuner, which my 2 princesses happened to break a few weeks after I bought it.  They were using it to see if they can vocally produce the same chord as the guitar... somehow after dropping a few times, its a goner.

And so I was in a town and saw a guitar shop with rows of guitars on sale.

I walked in thinking of buying a new tuner, but the lady at the counter was too busy to entertain me, so I walked around the shop till I laid my eyes on the nice matt-finishing guitar.  I looked at the price tag and wondered if its in Rupiah... $1488.00

The shop didn't have a sign that say "No Touching", certainly also never say "No Trying".  So I picked up the thousand dollar guitar and started strumming it with my newly acquired skill.

Tears rolled down my cheeks as the sound from it made it to my ears...  This guitar can make an amateur sound like a pro...  it makes the one at home sound like a busted old toy guitar meant for kids.  I played on, forgetting what I came here for.

I told myself: "Put down the guitar and walk away..."

With much will power, I placed it back on the stand and walked away.  On the way out I thought of getting myself a nice Christmas present with a new guitar.  But definitely not this one,  maybe something one tenth of that price it should be good enough.

But who knows.

I walked into another shop, I overheard the conversation between a mother with the counter lady...  The mother was enquiring about the cost of guitar for her daughter to start learning.  To my surprise, she didn't reccommend the less then hundred type.  But showed her the near 2 hundred ones.

When the mother voiced the concern of the pricey guitar.  The sales girl turned to her male colleague: "How much did you spent on your guitar?" ... Reply was "$2,500.00"
Turning back to the mother, the sales girl said: "We have more expensive one, but we never display it."

It got me thinking of 2 things:
1. I wonder how a $2,500 guitar would sound like. 
2. I would never buy my guitar here.
.

No comments: