Monday, March 30, 2009

Earth Day

A week before, I have already heard of the Earth day, the day is aimed to promote awareness of the low energy sources that we are tapping on, threatening the existing of future generation.

On Saturday night, I have planned to switch off the lights and teach the kids about the reason of such act.

We went out for dinner and were back by 8.35pm. I told the kids we are not going to on the lights... I received mixed reaction. Isabel was excited about the change, but Ally kept shouting "I DON'T LIKE EARTH DAY! I WANT ON THE LIGHTS!!" she was afraid of the dark...

I insisted to carry on with the exercise, lighting up few candles in the house. The first 10 mins was very difficult as my eyes was adjusted to the dark, I began to appreciate the benefit of having light in our home. Without TV or computer and Internet, I almost couldn't make it through the hour.

As we sat around the dancing flame, I began to explain the rational behind this, but they are more interested in the flame than what I had to say.


Do more for the earth by ::
1 ) Switching off all lights before vacating your office each day

2 ) Shut down your computer at the end of the day

3 ) Switching off electrical devices at source (power sockets), instead of leaving it on standby

4 ) Use energy-efficient appliances (look for the energy efficiency labels)

5 ) Recycling

6 ) Reuse (the plastic bags that you have)

7 ) Reduce the resources that you utilise (bring your own bag or container)6 ) Travelling by public transport instead of by car/taxis


No comments: