Friday, April 18, 2008

Peer Pressure

I know nowadays kids are facing a lot more pressure than what we used to when we were kids. Studies... Tuitions... Performance anxiety... Peer pressure...

I also know Isabel at 5 years old is facing some pressure herself. Just the other day, she came to me with a request...

Isabel: "Daddy... I can watch TV."

Me: "Sure, go ahead, switch it on yourself."

Isabel: "Not now... tonight at 9 o'clock."

Me: "But that's your bed time. Besides, why watch cartoon at that hour?"

Isabel: "Not cartoon, Channel 5... but all my friends are watching. Its about this old man... then... then..."

Me: "...well?"

Isabel: "But all my friends are watching and talking about it, if I don't watch, I got nothing to talk about!"

I gave in.

At 9 o'clock, I switched on the TV, she started to watch with excitement, but in less than 5 mins, she's wrestling with her sister on my bed... in another 5 minutes, she's at her play area looking for books, totally has no interest with the TV show.

2 comments:

LZmommy said...

That's a nice template!

I agree... Sad to say kids at this age already facing it...

I told my kids doesn't mean others have it/watch it, you must have/watch it too..

Rachel said...

wow, u change the skin...very nice..

sad to say, parents and kids have to face many unseen pressure...