Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Phuket fun in the dusk

What's for fun in Phuket after dark?

Lots...

There's great sea food...

Walking on the street where there's a row of seafood stalls is like going through the 18 Luo-Han Lane in Shaolin Temple. (十八罗汉)

The "Snake Fist", "Drunken Fist", "Chin Na Hand" all must be used to ensure a clear path. Because the waiters are always blocking our way whether we like it or not, stuff the menu in our faces and drag us to their stall...



Night-life... one of the highlights of the island for the horny men looking for some honey.

See the girl in mini skirt doing the sexy dance on the table top? I have to admit she's real "hot". So hot that not only guys are staring at her, many women are watching her too, taking pictures and video. Then I suddenly remembered: "The pretty girls may not be real girls". So I stood and joined the "staring competition" to see if I'm right... Not long after, my wife noticed me staring, gave me a nudge on the elbow saying: "Nice to see is it?" I defensively said: "No lah I just... I just... Never mind..."

Thai Massage...
One of the best past time after a long day of physical activities. There's at least one massage palor in every lane and every street on the island. We walk closer, they are like sharks sensing blood, coming in for a kill. Different groups of girls in different uniforms will approach us, holding up a laminated paper stating the price for the different services.

Me and my wife went for one brightly lit, properly and professionally dressed palor and took a promotion package "Foot and Thai" massage 450 Baht (S$19.56) for 2 hours. Before we start, we made sure its the original Thai style that bends and twists the body in those odd positions kind. We like the torture... (just kidding)

Night Bazaar...
This is a tiring process to buy things there... mentally stress...
Because every item we buy, we have to bargain so hard to get the cents worth.
Language may be a barrier, but math and numbers are universal.
Shop owner punch a set of numbers and show the buyer...
Buyer will counter with another set of numbers...

But me and my friend stood aside and watched our wives in action.
Lets watch:

The ladies discussing how much the item is worth...

Shop owner: "This one good ma-ti-real... good buy, good buy...
750 Baht"
Wives: "Wah-lao... please la... you see this (point at her own shorts) same same... 200 baht over there (point somewhere down the road).

Shop owner: "No same, no same... Ok, give me more... "

Wives punch another set of numbers and showed him.

Shop owner put on an act of disbelieve: "Cannot... give me more"

Wives: "Ok, we buy 2 for 500 Baht"
Shop owner: "550"
Wives: "500"
Shop owner: "ok la ok la 500 Baht"
See what I mean? Its so stressful, just for 2 pieces of garment. After sometime, our friend become so "Pro" at it, she bargains just about anything she buys... from garments to souvenirs to sweet corns from the roadside... ha ha ha
Most of the shops in the tourist areas are owned by either Indians, Myanmas or Vietnamese. I don't know did this happen after the Tsunami or before, but it just don't feel right anymore. I like the hospitality of the Thai, the smile and warm greeting just make me feel welcome.But now the Indians will mock at you if you bargain too much, harass you to buy a suit...
"Why would I want a suit?"
Its just not the same anymore.

4 comments:

paupau said...

You are spot on! The shop owners were so unfriendly that I didn't even bother to buy anything from Phuket. Shopping is not a nice experience there, IMHO.

Anonymous said...

Wah, corn also can bargain?? LOL! My folks are planning a Phuket trip for us when we're back in KL. I was so looking forward to the shopping spree 'til I read this post. Oh well, I guess I can look forward to affordable massages.

Ricket said...

To Vien: Shopping is still best in Bangkok. I love going there.

Anonymous said...

Have to bargain lol since they mark-up the price as well.

Really? I don't know there are other races other than Thai..