Tuesday, June 13, 2006

In Loving Memories...

I just had my aquarium "renovated" to a more natural environment with a big piece of real tree bark as background. A large drift wood in the center and a 5kg cave stone for decoration.

I also halved the water, the effect is to make it look like a section of the stream complete with flowing water from the motorized pump.



With all these natural looks, we thought its a waste to keep only tiny little Tetras. We debated whether to get a terrapin of a crab. Since we kept crabs and lobsters before, so I went ahead to get a terrapin.

Isabel chose one while we were at the shop, back home she decided to call it Ja-Ja.


And so Ja-Ja was swimming in the new "natural" environment for the first day. Then I noticed it was not eating the food I bought for it. I positioned the food right in front of it but it still won't take a bite.

It never occurred to me that it may be sick but 2 days later I found it curled up on the rock sleeping...

I decided to take it out of the aquarium and place it in a separate container. But the next day it never woke up again...

Isabel took it very well. She knew its dead, but she sarcastically asked me: "How's your turtle?"
I said: "Died already la."
She went : "Oh, ok."

Poor thing... its still a little baby... I feel responsible for it's death...sigh...

Ashes to ashes...
Dust to dust
To a better place
far better I trust

A place free from loneliness
free from pain
Free from hunger
and unhappiness ever again

7 comments:

Robin CHAN said...

Turtle .. dun feed to much.,. they do die easily.. (although the norm was turtle for long life)

and all excess food must be removed or else it rots and bring disease.. and they die again. :(

Mockingbird said...

Could the terrapin have died of loneliness?

seefei said...

my turtle kaput on me during my univ day. and i never rear turtle. i am baffled to this day how turtle can die. maybe baby turtles are vulnerable.

nice idea for a tank..must show us the full tank.

btw, turtle shits are too heavy for the pump to clear. you need to change the water often. hope you dont keep non-aquatic animal w your tetras. crabs eat fish, not a good idea also.

Ricket said...

To see fei: You are right about the crab eating the fishes. The time when I had a lobster in the tank, the fishes disappeared with any trace at all... not even a scale was found.

ZMM said...

How come Isabel said, "How's YOUR turtle?" instead of "How's MY turtle?"

Poor turtle.. but luckily it left before the kids got too attached to it.

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»